How to prepare gluten free recipe for spaetzle. Spaetzle are little pieces of pasta made by pressing dough through a colander or a special spaetzle press* into boiling water, then frying the little gems in oil or butter to lightly brown them. They are typically associated with German cooking and make a great accompaniment to entrées such as Sauerbrauten or Pork Schnitzel. Traditionally, Spaetzle are made by scraping dough off a wooden chopping board into boiling salt water where they cook until they rise to the surface. They are then skimmed and put aside. Follow the simple directions carefully:
GLUTEN FREE RECIPE FOR SPAETZLE - GERMAN NOODLES
- 1¼ cups Carol’s Sorghum Blend (1½ cups sorghum flour 35%, 1½ cups potato, starch/cornstarch 35%, 1 cup tapioca fl our 30%: Whisk the ingredients together until well blended. Store, tightly covered, in a dark, dry place. You may refrigerate or freeze the blend, but bring to room temperature before using. Makes 4 cups.)
- 2⁄3 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or buttery spread
- ¾ cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or unsalted butter) or more, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a food processor, combine sorghum blend, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, egg, and butter and process until the dough is crumbly. Pour the buttermilk evenly over the mixture and process again until the dough forms a ball or several clumps on one side of the bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt liberally. Put dough in a colander or spaetzle press and press the dough through the holes into the boiling salted water. Cook the spaetzle until they pop to the surface, then remove them with a slotted spoon and place on a platter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add about half of the spaetzle and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Lightly season them with salt and pepper, to taste. Repeat with the remaining spaetzle. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.
Lots of fun preparing this easy pasta recipe and Bon Apetit.